Seasonal job positions for 2016 are now posted on our Employment page.
Open / Closed in the Park:
See the Parkway Police Twitter feed for updates.
|Allison Park: Open daylight hours. Restrooms closed for winter.|
|Alpine Boat Basin: Closed for winter.|
|Alpine Picnic Area: Grounds open daylight hours. Pavilion restrooms closed for winter (plaza restrooms open). Kearney House closed for winter.|
|Englewood Boat Basin: Please call 201-568-1328.|
|Englewood Picnic Area: Grounds open daylight hours. Snack Shack closed for winter.|
|Fort Lee Historic Park: Grounds open daylight hours. Metered parking (rates). Visitor Center open Weds. to Sun., 10 AM – 4:45 PM. 201-461-1776.|
|Greenbrook Sanctuary: Open daylight hours, membership required. 201-784-0484.|
|Hazard’s Ramp: Floating dock removed for winter.|
|Henry Hudson Drive: Drive 1 closed for winter. Alpine Approach Road, Dyckman Hill Road, and Drive 2 open daylight hours, conditions permitting.|
|Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey: Open 24 hrs.|
|Park Headquarters: Administrative offices open Mon. to Fri., 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM except New Jersey State holidays. 201-768-1360. Parkway Police desk staffed at all times: 201-768-6001. Click here for Court information.
|Ross Dock Picnic Area: Grounds open daylight hours. Restrooms closed for winter (Port-A-Johns available).|
|State Line Lookout: Grounds open daylight hours. Lookout Inn open 9:30 AM – 5 PM. 201-750-0465.|
|Trails: Open daylight hours.|
|Undercliff Picnic Area: Open daylight hours.|
Sidebar last updated:
February 1, 2016.
Information posted here subject to change without notice.
On this page are links to directions and maps to the three main park entrances to the Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey, as well as to specific park areas.
- Click here for directions to get to the Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey (cars and motorcycles only).
- Click here for information on how to get to the park by public transportation.
- Click here for information on how to get to the park by bicyle.
Portable GPS units and phones do not always reliably find all park areas. We have included maps from Google Maps where available (as well as GPS coordinates and search terms for those maps). You may find it useful to also review the directions we have provided for specific park areas, especially if you have never been to the park before.
There are three main park entrances to the Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey, which provide access to the park’s riverfront areas:
- The Edgewater park entrance is on River Road near the Fort Lee border. This entrance provides the most direct access to Ross Dock Picnic Area, Hazard’s Ramp, and Carpenter’s Grove, and can also be used for Englewood Picnic Area & Boat Basin.
Google Maps: "River Road at Henry Hudson Drive, Edgewater NJ"
- The Englewood Cliffs park entrance is the continuation of Palisade Avenue (PIP Exit 1). Cycling is not permitted from this park entrance — bicycles must be walked on Dyckman Hill Road. This entrance provides the most direct access to Englewood Picnic Area & Boat Basin and Undercliff Picnic Area, and can also be used for Ross Dock Picnic Area, Hazard’s Ramp, and Carpenter’s Grove.
Google Maps: "Palisade Ave at Henry Hudson Drive, Englewood Cliffs NJ"
- The Alpine park entrance is on U.S. Route 9W at Alpine Approach Road (PIP Exit 2). This entrance provides the most direct access to Park Headquarters, Alpine Picnic Area & Boat Basin, Alpine Pavilion and Alpine Grove, and the Kearney House.
Google Maps: "Alpine Approach Road at Route 9W, Alpine NJ"
The links below will take you to step-by-step directions to the major park areas in the Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey (with maps from Google Maps when available), including instructions for those coming by public transportation and bicycle:
GPS: 40.870044, -73.952497
Google Maps: "Allison Park, Englewood Cliffs NJ"
GPS: 40.944072, -73.919186
Google Maps: "Alpine Boat Basin, Alpine NJ"
- Carpenter’s Grove (at Ross Dock Picnic Area)
GPS: 40.856306, -73.958514
- Englewood Picnic Area & Boat Basin
GPS: 40.875925, -73.946678
Google Maps: "Englewood Boat Basin, Englewood Cliffs NJ"
GPS: 40.852539, -73.963961
Google Maps: "Fort Lee Historic Park"
GPS: 40.914456, -73.932958
Google Maps: "Greenbrook Sanctuary"
Google Maps: "Hazards Dock, Fort Lee NJ"
GPS: 40.952950, -73.920458
Google Maps: "Palisades Interstate Park Commission, Alpine Approach Road, Alpine NJ"
GPS: 40.860425, -73.955772
Google Maps: "Ross Dock Picnic Area, Fort Lee NJ"
GPS: 40.989108, -73.906678
Google Maps: "State Line Lookout, Alpine NJ"
- Undercliff Picnic Area
GPS: 40.887511, -73.942297
Getting to the Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey (by car or motorcycle)
To northbound Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey, from points south and New York City:
- From Routes 4 & 46, and I-95 local lanes: Take the exit for Fort Lee/Palisades Interstate Parkway (Exit 72 from I-95 local lanes). Turn left at the light at the top of the ramp. Go through several lights in succession. The entrance to the northbound Parkway will be on the right (about 0.5 mi. after the left turn from the exit ramp).
- From I-95 Express Lanes: Take Exit 73 (last exit in New Jersey). Turn right at the light onto Bruce Reynolds Boulevard. Turn right at the light onto Lemoine Avenue. Entrance to the northbound Parkway is 0.5 mi. ahead, after Fort Lee High School, on the right.
- From New York City: Take the upper level of the George Washington Bridge to the first exit, Palisades Interstate Parkway northbound.
To southbound Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey, from points north and the New York State Thruway:
- From NY State Thruway (I-87/287): take Exit 13S for the southbound PIP.
Most park areas and trailheads can be reached using public transportation from New York City and points in New Jersey, or from Rockland County, New York. We have included the appropriate stops to take and other information in our directions pages for specific park areas (see links, above), and our downloadable maps show major bus stops in the vicinity of the park.
Those coming by public transportation should keep in mind that to get to our riverfront areas, they will have to hike down from bus stops on the summit (and then back up again) on trails that are steep.
Rockland Coach’s Number 9 bus, which departs from the Port Authority’s George Washington Bridge Terminal (175th Street station on the A express subway line) or from the Port Authority Bus Terminal (42nd Street), stops at Bridge Plaza in Fort Lee, and a number of other bus lines connect at the Bridge Plaza stop from points in New Jersey. The Number 9 then travels north up U.S. Route 9W to the state line and on to Rockland County. Click here for the bus schedule for Red & Tan Route 9/9A.
We cannot verify bus schedules. For additional bus schedule information for the Number 9 bus, visit Rockland Coaches (Red and Tan Lines) or call 201-384-2400 or 212-279-6526. For connecting bus information, also check New Jersey Transit.
Cyclists are not permitted on the Palisades Interstate Parkway, on Dyckman Hill Road, on any hiking or ski trail, and are not permitted beyond parking areas.