Motorists please use caution! Allow extra travel time — consider alternative routes. Check the Parkway Police Twitter feed for current updates.
|Allison Park: Open daylight hours.|
|Alpine Boat Basin: Gas dock open Mon. to Thurs., 9 AM – 4:30 PM; Fri. to Sun., 9 AM – 5:30 PM. Will be closed for winter beginning Sat., Nov. 1.|
|Alpine Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. (The Kearney House is closed for winter except for special events.)|
|Englewood Boat Basin: Please call 201 568-1328.|
|Englewood Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. Port-A-Johns only.|
|Fort Lee Historic Park: Grounds open daylight hours. Visitor Center open Weds. to Sun., 10 AM – 4:45 PM. $5 parking fee, weekends & holidays.|
|Greenbrook Sanctuary: Open daylight hours (membership required).|
|Hazard’s Dock: Open daylight hours.|
|Henry Hudson Drive: Open daylight hours.|
|Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey: Open 24 hrs. Parkway repaving in progress. Click here for more information.|
|Park Headquarters: Administrative offices open Mon. to Fri., 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM except New Jersey State holidays. Parkway Police desk staffed at all times: 201 768-6001. Click here for Court information.
|Ross Dock Picnic Area: Open daylight hours.|
|State Line Lookout: Grounds open daylight hours. Lookout Inn open 9:30 AM – 5 PM.|
|Trails: Open daylight hours.|
|Undercliff Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. Port-A-Johns only.|
Sidebar last updated:
October 30, 2014.
Information posted here subject to change without notice.
The Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey follows the western shore of the Hudson River in Bergen County, New Jersey, from just south of the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee north 12 miles to the New York state line at Rockland County, New York. Hudson Terrace in Fort Lee and Englewood Cliffs and U.S. Route 9W in Englewood Cliffs, Tenafly, and Alpine run along the length of the park’s western border, while the Palisades Interstate Parkway runs parallel just within that border (scroll down for directions to get onto the Parkway). Also see our Maps page.
Henry Hudson Drive and its spurs, built and maintained by the Park Commission, provide access to the park’s riverfront areas, while Hudson Terrace, Route 9W, and the Parkway provide access to areas on the summit.
Commercial vehicles are not permitted in the park or on the Palisades Interstate Parkway. Buses must have a permit.
Because most of the park’s roadways are not on a municipal street grid, portable GPS devices do not reliably identify all park areas. Likewise, common internet mapping programs, such as Google Maps and MapQuest, do not always identify park areas or provide reliable directions to them. We recommend using the directions provided on these pages:
- Allison Park
- Alpine Picnic Area & Boat Basin (Alpine Grove, Alpine Pavilion, The Kearney House)
- Carpenter’s Grove
- Englewood Picnic Area & Boat Basin
- Fort Lee Historic Park
- Greenbrook Sanctuary
- Hazard’s Dock (boat trailers)
- Park Headquarters
- Ross Dock Picnic Area
- State Line Lookout
- Undercliff Picnic Area
Getting to the Palisades Interstate Parkway (by car or motorcycle)
To northbound Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey, from points south and New York City:
- From Routes 4 & 46, and I-95 local lanes: Take the exit for Fort Lee/Palisades Interstate Parkway (Exit 72 from I-95 local lanes). Turn left at the light at the top of the ramp. Go through several lights in succession. The entrance to the northbound Parkway will be on the right (about 0.5 mi. after the left turn from the exit ramp).
- From I-95 Express Lanes: Take Exit 73 (last exit in New Jersey). Turn right at the light onto Bruce Reynolds Boulevard. Turn right at the light onto Lemoine Avenue. Entrance to the northbound Parkway is 0.5 mi. ahead, after Fort Lee High School, on the right.
- From New York City: Take the upper level of the George Washington Bridge to the first exit, Palisades Interstate Parkway northbound.
To southbound Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey, from points north and the New York State Thruway:
- From NY State Thruway (I-87/287): take Exit 13S for the southbound PIP.
Coming to the Park by Public Transportation:
Most park areas and trailheads can be reached using public transportation from New York City and points in New Jersey or from Rockland County, New York. We have included the appropriate stops to take and other information in our directions pages, and our downloadable maps show major bus stops in the vicinity of the park.
- Those coming by public transportation should keep in mind that getting to our riverfront areas may require hiking to and from bus stops on the summit, using trails that are sometimes steep.
Rockland Coach’s Number 9 bus, which departs from the Port Authority’s George Washington Bridge Terminal (175th Street station on the A express subway line) or from the Port Authority Bus Terminal (42nd Street), stops at Bridge Plaza in Fort Lee, and a number of other bus lines connect at the Bridge Plaza stop from points in New Jersey. The Number 9 then travels north up U.S. Route 9W to the state line and on to Rockland County. We cannot verify bus schedules: for bus schedule information for the Number 9 bus, visit Rockland Coaches (Red and Tan Lines) or call 201 384-2400 or 212 279-6526. (For connecting bus information, also check New Jersey Transit’s website.)
Coming to the Park by Bicycle:
All park areas are accessible to cyclists, and we have included information for cyclists in the directions pages.
Cyclists are not permitted on the Palisades Interstate Parkway, on Dyckman Hill Road, on any hiking or ski trail, and are not permitted beyond parking areas.