Open/Closed in the Park
Subject to change without notice
The Parkway Police Twitter feed provides live updates on traffic and other conditions.
|Allison Park: Open daylight hours.|
|Alpine Boat Basin: Closed for winter.|
|Alpine Picnic Area: Open daylight hours, pavilion restrooms closed for winter.|
|Englewood Boat Basin: Please call 201 568-1328.|
|Englewood Picnic Area: Open daylight hours, restrooms closed for winter.|
|Fort Lee Historic Park: Grounds open daylight hours. Visitor Center open Wed. to Sun., 10 AM – 4:45 PM (closed on N.J. State holidays except Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day).|
|Greenbrook Sanctuary: Open daylight hours, membership required.|
|Hazard’s Dock: Closed for winter.|
|Henry Hudson Drive: Drive 1 closed for winter. Drive 2, Dyckman Hill Road, and Alpine Approach Road open daylight hours, conditions permitting.|
|The Kearney House: Closed for winter.|
|Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey: Open 24 hrs.|
|Park Headquarters: Administrative offices open Mon. to Fri., 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM except on New Jersey State holidays (these days are marked on our calendar). Parkway Police desk staffed at all times: 201 768-6001. Click here for Court information.
|Ross Dock Picnic Area: Open daylight hours, restrooms closed for winter.|
|State Line Lookout: Grounds open daylight hours. Lookout Inn open 9:30 AM – 5 PM.|
|Trails: Open daylight hours. Restoration work on Shore Trail from Englewood Boat Basin to Ross Dock: trail is open, but hikers should use caution.
Sidebar last updated: December 8, 2013
The Palisades Interstate Parkway, completed in 1958, provides a scenic 42-mile ride from the George Washington Bridge to the Bear Mountain Bridge. About 11 miles of the Parkway are in New Jersey, from the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee to the New York state line at Alpine.
The Parkway is limited to passenger cars and motorcycles only. Trucks and cars pulling trailers and cars or pickup trucks with commercial or combination plates or business markings or advertising are prohibited on the Parkway. Buses must have a permit.
For current hours and conditions for the Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey, please check the chart in the sidebar >
The Parkway Police Twitter feed provides live updates on Parkway conditions.
Three overlooks in New Jersey offer views of the Palisades, the Hudson River, and the New York skyline:
- Rockefeller Lookout (el. 400 feet) is a pull-off overlook in Englewood Cliffs, about 1 mile north of Parkway Exit 1, opposite Spuyten Duyvel and accessible from northbound lanes only. No restrooms or other facilities are provided. Rockefeller Lookout is open 24 hours.
- Alpine Lookout (el. 430 feet) is a pull-off overlook in Alpine, about 3 miles north of Parkway Exit 1, opposite Yonkers and accessible from Parkway northbound lanes only. No restrooms or other facilities are provided. Alpine Lookout is open 24 hours.
- State Line Lookout (el. 530 feet) has its own unnumbered exit in Alpine, New Jersey, about 2 miles north of Parkway Exit 2, accessible directly from the Parkway northbound lanes and via a median U-turn from the Parkway southbound lanes. A refreshment stand, gift shop, and restrooms are available (portable toilets are available when the refreshment stand is closed). State Line Lookout is open during daylight hours only.
Gas stations are located in New Jersey on both southbound and northbound lanes of the Parkway south of Exit 1, open 24 hours. (There is a gas station about 2 mi. north of the New York state line as well, in the median and accessible to both north- and southbound traffic, also open 24 hours.)
The Palisades Interstate Park Commission in New Jersey is a New Jersey State agency and is covered under Title 59 regarding Tort actions. For matters concerning insurance and claims please contact Risk Management of New Jersey (click here for more information).
Parkway exits in New Jersey, listed south-to-north:
- George Washington Bridge (southbound only — toll): I-95 north, New England; New York City; Long Island.
- Fort Lee, New Jersey Highways (southbound only, bear left at the split for the exit to the George Washington Bridge): Lemoine Avenue, local streets, Routes 1 & 9, 4, 46, I-80, I-95.
- Hudson Terrace (southbound only, the last exit before the toll for the Bridge, unless bearing left as described above): Fort Lee, Englewood Cliffs, Edgewater; Fort Lee Historic Park.
- Exit 1: Palisade Ave., Englewood Cliffs, Englewood; U.S. Route 9W; Dyckman Hill Road/Henry Hudson Drive, Englewood Picnic Area & Boat Basin, Undercliff Picnic Area, Ross Dock Picnic Area.
- Exit 2: U.S. Route 9W, Alpine, Closter; Park Headquarters; Alpine Approach Road/Henry Hudson Drive, Alpine Picnic Area & Boat Basin, the Kearney House.
- Exit 3 (southbound only, U-turn available from northbound Parkway): U.S. Route 9W; Alpine Boy Scout Camp.
- State Line Lookout (northbound exit, U-turn available from southbound Parkway).
- Exit 4: U.S. Route 9W.